Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Invitation


The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” (Revelation 22:17)


When God says something once, we do well to pay attention. But when He repeats what He says – I think that means He really, really wants to make a point. 

That’s what I thought when I recently read again His invitation to me – and, of course, to anyone who cares to hear it: The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty, Come. Let the one who wishes to take the water of life without cost [Come] (Revelation 22:17).

As I laid the Bible on my lap, I remembered what God said several hundred years earlier, through the prophet Isaiah: “Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? (Isaiah 55:1-2a).

Then another text came to mind, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30).

At that point my memory went into overdrive as scores of similar invitations across the length and breadth of Scripture floated through my thoughts. And I wondered why some think there is a better offer waiting for us from elsewhere. 

I can tell you from four decades of experience, there is no better offer. We can live a hundred lives over, even ten thousand lives over, and we will never receive a better or more genuine appeal.

On December 24, 1972 I responded to God’s RSVP with a simple, “Yes, Lord, I come. With all my dark past, with all my hunger, and with all my thirst – Oh, Lord, I come to You. Quench the longing of my soul.”

Indeed, since that day in 1972 I have repeatedly, perhaps hundreds of times, reminded myself of my RSVP. Our Father’s invitation is too gracious, too abundant, too life-giving – and too important – that I do not want to forget how badly I need Him day by day.

What about you?

No comments: